Sunday, February 19, 2012

bada-bing, bada-boom


Of all the things in the world, if there is anything I do not look forward to, it is dealing with the Indian government. No matter what, where and when, it has always left a bad taste in the mouth, with bribes and red tape all around. When I was young and was in situations where I had to pay bribes, I used to feel guilty; I stopped paying, but I get enraged every time someone asks for a bribe. So you can imagine my trepidation as I was getting closer to my passport's expiration date. I didn't dare pick a fight with the officials lest it should go to passport limbo. I couldn't get myself to pay up either.

I kept procrastinating for months.

I finally decided I couldn't keep it off any more and decided to book an appointment (which itself was a recent feature, added three months before my passport was to expire). I was told that TCS took over the Passport application process and instead of waiting in line day after day (as my colleagues had done), we could just go online and apply for a slot. I did.

Once I was in the Passport Seva Kendra, I had to wait to get my documents checked. This was the first step - TCS employees handled the first check to ensure that I have all the documents needed for the application. Once they confirmed that I have the documents, they gave me a token for the next step.

The second step is where they scan the documents I brought and upload into the system. They validated everything, asked me to sign on the copies and when some copies were missing, I was able to get them in the photocopier room within the building. This again was handled by TCS. To my delight, the people were polite and professional!

The TCS personnel then directed me to the next booth, which is when I saw the first government official. By this time, I was sure that I had all the documents. More importantly, they knew I had all the documents - because I wouldn't be in front of them if I didn't. The lady verified the scanned copies, reviewed my originals, stamped the application, signed it and spat on the floor (she was disgusted about the lack of red-tape and bribery).

The next guy is another government official to whom I had to submit the application. He too looked at the documents, stamped them, signed them and spat on the floor.

Once it was done, I just picked up an acknowledgement and was out! That's it! No going back, no begging them to close the application, no greasing the wheels, no searching for agents, or goat sacrifices. Nothing.

I never thought I'd say this in my life - I was pleased with how a government related transaction was conducted.

I am pretty sure, even with TCS handling the process, people are put through a whole of hassles. I am sure TCS hasn't perfected it yet and is not at 6-sigma level. Far from it. But all the people who were around me at that center on that day had a nice experience, and I would be surprised if, unless things change drastically, the experience is any different for typical applicants at that location.

Since people who are dissatisfied with the service will surely complain, I think it is only fair that they get a pat on the back when we are satisfied. Thank you TCS. Please keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment